Mechanical & Utility Systems
Jason Hebert, Associate Director, Mechanical Engineer
The Associate Director works with Managers, Supervisors to maintain, implement and oversee the operation of electrical, plumbing and heating/ventilation/air conditioning (HVAC) systems, and building controls modules throughout campus. Oversees mechanical systems aspects of new construction projects.
Energy Conservation and Management. NM Tech recently initiated this unique area of utility related services for the purpose of developing and managing special projects and energy building audits to evaluate building performance and establish baselines for energy consumption, to realize optimal energy usage and utility savings.
Scott Bunning, Utility Systems Manager
Manages the Electrical, Plumbing and HVAC crews.
Responsible for the maintenance, repair and installation of electrical systems throughout campus. Systems include interior and exterior lighting, high voltage electrical distribution, electric motors, pumps, elevators, centralized clock system, temporary power for campus special events, generators, and all other power needs. All campus coordination with Socorro Electric Coop happens through this office.
- Temporary Power for campus special events
- Install new electrical wiring and/or fixtures
- Modify existing electrical wiring and/or fixtures
- Generator rentals for campus events
- Repair existing electrical wiring, outlets, switches, etc.
- Repair or Replace light fixtures and ballasts
- Maintain centralized clock systems
- Maintain and service elevators, dumbwaiters, wheelchair lifts and stair lifts
Responsible for all chilled water systems, domestic/potable water systems, natural gas lines, industrial water systems, backflow preventers, compressed air systems, RO water systems, DI water systems, sanitary waste lines & sewers, acid waste systems. Plumbing fixtures include, but not limited to, toilets, lavatories, drinking fountains, eyewash stations, emergency showers, lab sinks, kitchen sinks, bathroom showers/tubs, etc. All campus coordination with City of Socorro Water Department happens through this office.
- Temporary domestic/potable water for campus special events
- Install new plumbing piping and/or fixtures
- Modify existing plumbing piping and/or fixtures
- Upgrade equipment rooms
- Upgrade bathrooms
- Repair existing plumbing systems and fixtures, etc. throughout campus.
- Maintain plumbing fixtures for serviceable working order
Heating/Ventilation/Air Conditioning (HVAC) Crew
Responsible for all heating systems, refrigerated air & chilled-water cooling systems, ventilation & exhaust systems throughout campus. There are varieties of HVAC systems utilized in our campus buildings. Not every building is the same.
Several of our buildings are considered “Smart Buildings” utilizing a computerized control system for the HVAC system. The building automation system strives for improved occupant comfort, efficient operation of building systems, reduction in energy consumption and operating costs. It allows Facilities Management to remotely monitor the systems and adjust the equipment and thermostats.
- Install new HVAC units to handle department special equipment and server room heat loads
- Maintain & repair HVAC units for department special equipment and server rooms
- Install refrigerated window AC units as required by department, as electric power is available
- Maintain & repair existing HVAC systems and units throughout campus.
- Maintain & repair existing fume hoods and lab ventilation systems
Jason Hebert – Associate Director, Mechanical Engineer
Phone- (575) 835-5832
Scott Bunning – Utility Systems Manager
Phone- (575) 835-5718
Patrick Murillo – Plumbing & HVAC Supervisor
Phone- (575) 835-5356