Hero Image
Center for Graduate Studies

Graduate Survival Guide

The Center for Graduate Studies (CGS) is located on the second floor of the Fidel Student Center, across from the Registrar’s Office

Know Your NMT ID Number – you will need this for practically everything you do at NMT!


Visit your department office

We encourage you to stop by your department first, so they know you have arrived in Socorro and can get you started. Your department secretary will help you get keys for your office, building, and labs, and direct you to your department mailbox. This office is usually a place where you can find answers when you need help. The CGS is also a great resource for all things related to graduate students.


If you will be working in a paid position on campus (as a TA or RA or hourly student employee):

RA/TA Contracts: Pick up your contract from your department secretary (TAs) or your research supervisor (RAs). Take your contract to the CGS and sign it with Debbie Wallace or Megan McElroy.

Assistantships (teaching and/or research) are processed using a contract between NMT and the student.  These are important not only because they will get you paid, but because with them all students qualify for deferred payment of tuition and some fees, and nonresident students qualify for resident tuition.  Therefore, it is crucial that your contract be completed BEFORE you go to validate so that you will qualify for these accommodations.

I-9 Form: You will be contacted by someone from the Budget & Analysis office when they are ready for you to go to their office to complete the I-9 form. Budget & Analysis is located in Brown Hall, Room 100. The I-9 form is completed once and is valid for your whole career at NMT. Present original versions of documentation to prove your identity and work eligibility. The full list of acceptable documents is in the "student workers" section of this web page:  https://w17.nmt.edu/ba-tax-students. You may choose which documents to present. Frequently provided documents are:

International Students must also obtain a social security number, which is used in NMT's payroll system and the government's income taxation process. Visit the International Programs office for their instruction sheet on how to obtain a social security number. You do not need to have a social security number before starting work, but it should be obtained in a timely manner.

Paydays are biweekly. In order to receive a paycheck on the first payday, your contract must be processed at least 7 business days prior to payday.

If you have a TA/RA contract or another campus job, you have two options for payment:


When you first arrive at NMT, immediately take your documents (including proof of health insurance) to the International Coordinator (Fidel, Rm. 268, Michael Voegerl).

If you want to work on campus, in addition to completing an I-9 form (see above), you will also need to obtain a social security number.


Your Academic Advisor will advise you on the best courses to take. He/she will guide you through the requirements for your degree and approve your semester by semester registrations.  After you complete your first semester, he/she will give you your alternate pin # that you will use to register online for courses (see registration process below).


NMT has moved to online registration; however, first-time students will have to register in person at the Registrar’s Office (Fidel Student Center, second floor across from the Center for Graduate Studies (CGS) office) on or before the first day of classes. Present your registration form, signed by your advisor, the CGS, and International Office (International students only, Fidel Student Center, Rm. 268, Michael Voegerl), to the Registrar’s Office. You will receive late fees if you register after classes have begun.

Each semester’s class schedule and the course catalog are available online: https://banweb7.nmt.edu/


Being “validated” means that you are in good financial standing at NMT. It means that you have paid or have made arrangements for payment of your tuition and fees on or before the start of classes. If you validate after the start of classes you will receive late fees. If you delay further, you will be dropped from all classes. If you have a TA/RA contract, you have two options for payment: You may pay your entire balance (tuition and fees) at the Cashier’s Office, OR payments for tuition and certain required fees may be distributed over the semester with a Graduate Deferred Payment (GDP) Plan. The GDP Plan allows you to defer payment of tuition (up to 13 credit hours) and required fees. Instead of paying these tuition and fee charges at the time of registration, they will be deducted in equal installments from your paychecks during the semester (depending on date the contract is signed by the Graduate Dean). The GDP does not cover lab fees, room and board, or tuition for any credit hours above 13. To choose the GDP, you must sign the appropriate form at Student Accounts (Fidel, Rm. 231, Gigi Garcia) when you get your contract. You must set up a new GDP each semester. The remaining balance, not covered by your GDP, must be paid by the first day of classes.


These are obtained in the Registrar’s office (Fidel Student Center, second floor). You can get this when you register.  Your ID card is used to check out books from the library, to check out equipment from the gym, to check out software manuals from the computer center, and as proof that you are a student at NMT (including for discounts at many local businesses).


The fee for your campus mailbox is included in your student fee. Go to the Campus Post Office to be assigned a campus PO Box (Fidel, first floor, past the NMT Bookstore).


You may get a key request form from your department secretary. If you know what project you'll be working on, your research advisor should be able to tell you for which labs you will need keys. Your advisor must sign the key request form. Don't forget to include your office key and the building key. Take the key request form to the Key Control Office,(Fidel Center, first floor). The key deposit is $5/key. After you have been notified that your keys are ready, go to the Cashier's Office (Fidel Center, second floor) to pay the $5/key deposit. Take your receipt to Key Control Office, (Fidel Center, first floor) to pick up your keys.


It is crucial that you have a NMT computer/email account. Announcements related to classes, degree progress, scholarships, and job opportunities are increasingly communicated via email, and you are responsible for reading them. Once you set up the account, you can forward emails to your personal email if you wish to do so. To set up your campus computer/email account, please go to the Tech Information Technology Center (ITC) in Speare 5.

If you have a computer at home and would like to be able to access the TCC computers, you will be charged a monthly fee. The ITC web page includes instructions on how to access NMT restricted pages from off campus as if you were physically located on campus (i.e., using NMT's VPN).


Full Time Status: To be a full-time graduate student, you must enroll in and satisfactorily complete 9-12 credit hours of upper division courses towards your degree per semester (12 credits if you have an assistantship). First-year students typically take three classes and fill the remainder of the 12 credit hours with directed research or seminar. If you do not have an assistantship, you may register for and complete as few as 9 credit hours of academic classes; however, tuition and fees are the same for 9-12 credit hours.

Registering for lower-level classes: If you must register for a 100 or 200-level class, you will need to fill out a special form. These classes cannot be used as credit toward your degree, but you may need them as prerequisites for other classes or as deficiencies. You may get the form online or from the Center for Graduate Studies.

13th Credit classes: Full-time students can register for a 13th credit that is recreational (physical recreation, health and wellness, etc.) without extra charges. Such courses do NOT count toward full time enrollment (either with or without a contract).

Health Care Center

Access to the Student Health Center is provided by fees paid by all full-time students.  Part-time students and dependents of students may be covered with payment of an additional fee.  The New Mexico Tech health center is open to students five days per week while school is in session. The health center is located in the Fidel Student Center (Building #14). The health center is staffed by a nurse practitioner and an RN, and provides primary care free of charge, except for costs incurred for laboratory analyses. They will refer you to a specialist or another doctor if necessary.


Graduate Student Orientation: New graduate students starting in the fall semester are required to attend the Graduate Student Orientation, hosted by the Center for Graduate Studies, on the first Monday evening of classes.

Graduate Student Guide: All graduate students are responsible for familiarizing themselves with the Student Handbook and the Graduate Student Guide contained therein, available online at:


Program Requirements: Students should also read their department’s requirements for a graduate degree in the current catalog, available online (via banweb7.nmt.edu)

Teaching Assistant Orientation: All students who have a teaching assistantship and who have not fully participated in the annual teaching assistant orientation within the last three academic years are required to participate in orientation the Thursday and Friday of the week preceding commencement of fall classes. Contact CGS for details.