- 1.4 GHz Intel Pentium 4 or faster processor (or equivalent)
- Windows 10, 8.1 (32-bit/64-bit), Windows 7 (32-bit/64-bit)
- 512 MB of RAM (1 GB recommended)
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 11 or later, Windows Edge browser, Mozilla Firefox, and Google Chrome
- For HTML Client - Google Chrome (v66.0 or above), Mozilla Firefox (v55.0 or above) and Edge (EdgeHTML v16 or above)
Getting started: Online preparedness
What to do now that all my courses are online because of the Covid-19 pandemic
Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, all of your New Mexico Tech courses for the rest of the semester will be offered online and accessed through Canvas. If you are enrolled at Tech and have a Tech ID (a 9-digit number starting with "900") and a Tech email address (in the format firstname.lastname@example.org), you can log into Canvas by going to http://learn.nmt.edu.
If you do not already have a Canvas password (separate from your email, Banner or library passwords) use your Tech ID as your login and your birthdate (yyyymmdd) as your password.
Note that a course for which you have registered may not immediately appear in Canvas because the instructor has not yet published it. If the semester has begin and it is still not published, please contact your instructor.
What are the technological requirements for distance education courses?
What characteristics do you need to become a distance education student?
- You should have a basic understanding of how a computer works.
- You should be a self-motivator; you may not receive as many prompts from the instructor to turn assignments in on time.
- You should not be shy about asking questions: What may be clear to students attending a live lecture may not be as clear to a distance education student.
- You should be ready to take as active a role in the class as possible: view live lectures in real-time if possible in able to ask questions or make comments using text chat or microphones and cameras. Lectures are also available in recorded format if your schedule does not allow you to attend in person.