Writing and annotating with a Wacom tablet
ACT has a limited number of these tablets. Let your department chair know if you wish to use it to annotate and write during live and recorded video lectures.
This document features steps on how to use your Wacom Graphics Tablet and some recommendations for different applications it can be used with. It may take you a while to get the hang of using your Wacom so be prepared to practice with it before using it for a lecture. Here’s a link for further instructions from Wacom: https://www.wacom.com/en-us/getting-started/one-by-wacom
Before using your Wacom, here’s some things you need to know about it.
- Wacoms are compatible with Apple, Android, and Windows products
- If you’re using a MAC, your IOS must be at 10.11 or higher.
- It plugs in using a USB. If you are unable to use a USB, it is recommended that you purchase an adapter.
Step 1: Plug your Wacom into your computer using the USB plug-in and download the Wacom driver. The link for the driver can be found in this link: https://www.wacom.com/en-us/support/product-support/drivers
Follow the set up instructions for the driver.
Step 2: Download a graphics application that is compatible with Wacom. Here’s a list of recommended applications that work well with your Wacom:
- Zoom Whiteboard - saves as a graphic file (I.e. .jpeg, .gif)
- Microsoft OneNote - very similar layout to the SMART software, saves as a graphic file (e.g., .pdf , .docx)
- Microsoft PowerPoint - saves as a graphic file (only .ppt)
- Paint - saves as a graphic file (I.e. .jpeg , .gif , .png)
- Krita - https://krita.org/en/download/krita-desktop/ , saves as a graphic file (only .kra)
- Autodesk Sketchbook - saves as a graphic file (I.e. .tiff , .bmp, .gif, .jpeg, .png, and .psd)
Step 3: Start creating! At this point, your Wacom should be ready to start using.
- Wacom pens can be used as a mouse as well as a drawing tool.
- The Wacom board senses pressure so it is recommended to use the least amount of pressure from your hand while writing.
- Wacom does have the ability to write in Microsoft edge. To do this, select the drawing tool in Microsoft Edge and you’ll be able to write over any webpage.