The Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, www.abet.org.
B.S. Program Educational Objectives
The Department of Mechanical Engineering at New Mexico Tech will produce Bachelor of Science graduates who are independent thinkers, taking ownership in identifying problems and determining effective solution strategies in a timely manner. Following working experience after graduation, they will:
- Be employed successfully in government laboratories, graduate schools, industry, or other areas of the profession.
- Have an understanding of the importance of lifelong learning such that they seek personal and professional growth.
- Have achieved a noteworthy level of workplace responsibility.
B.S. Student Learning Outcomes
Students will be able to:
- An ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics.
- An ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors.
- An ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences.
- An ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts.
- An ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives.
- An ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions.
- An ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies.