Upward Bound Program
Upward Bound (UB) is a program to help first-generation college and/or low-income high school students prepare for college. Our goal is to make you a successful high school AND college student! We are currently working with students from Albuquerque, Highland and West Mesa High Schools.
The Upward Bound program is a federal TRiO program funded by the US Department of Education. All TRiO programs are vested in the notion that all committed students deserve an opportunity of higher education (without regard to race, gender, national origin, or ADA status) regardless of their family’s economic resources and/or educational background.
Program services & Activities:
- Academic Advising
- Weekly tutoring at your school
- Motivational and informative guest speakers
- Career & college exploration
- College & University tours
- Financial aid assistance including scholarship information
- Research and FAFSA workshops
- Assistance with college applications
- College entrance exams assistance; ACT/SAT prep
- Individualized assistance with personal, social, familial and developmental concerns
- Cultural and educational field trips
- Six week summer residential program in Socorro; simulating a college experience
- Summer head start classes
- Weekly stipend
- A community of young, motivated learners!
To qualify for the program participants must:
- Be enrolled in Albuquerque, Highland, or West Mesa high school
- Have completed 8th grade and be between the ages of 14-18 years
- Meet low income family guidelines OR be a potential first generation college student OR both
- Be available to attend classes during our 6-week summer program at NMT in Socorro
- Be available to attend our Saturday workshops, and activities held in Albuquerque monthly
- Be available to attend weekly tutoring sessions
- Be a citizen or a permanent resident of the US
- Have a desire to go to college!
Once you are accepted into NMT-UB you are expected to attend both the school year and summer components. During the school year, participants attend tutoring, meet with advisors, attend Saturday workshops and educational or cultural activities. Summer program is held in Socorro for six weeks, Monday thru Friday attending daily classes and educational workshops.
TO APPLY ----Please click on link below to download the UB application. Once the appliaction is complete please fax it to 505-366-2522 or drop off/mail to the Upward Bound office:New Mexico Tech Upward Bound Office 2808 Central Ave SE Albuquerque, NM 87106
Frances Ortega - Program Director
505.366.2521 or firstname.lastname@example.org