Hero Image
Office of the Registrar

Study Abroad Transfer Credit

Prior to studying abroad, ensure that you have received pre-approvals here at NM Tech for all coursework that you are considering taking at your host university. This step is essential to making sure that your credits will be accepted toward your major, general degree requirements, or elective credits.

A minimum grade of "C" or its equivalent is necessary to ensure credit transfer. If you are unsure of the minimum grade required, contact the Registrar's Office prior to leaving.

For schools on the ECTS System (European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System), 1 ECTS credit = 0.5 US semester hours. Typically, a 5 ECTS course will transfer as 3 semester hours. The standard semester courseload is 30 ECTS credits.

Schools operating on the UK system (England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland) use a 120 ECTS credit system in which 1 credit = 0.25 US semester hours. Typically, a 10 credit course will transfer as 3 semester hours. The standard semester courseload is 60 credits.

It is also important to meet with the Student Affairs and Financial Aid offices as you are planning your time abroad. These offices each have requirements and will handle your enrollment in an exchange class to retain your student status and any consortium agreements and scholarship dispersement.

Have your transcript sent to the Student Affairs Office at New Mexico Tech as soon as you complete your coursework. It often takes several months to receive international transcripts, so it is important to start this process early. Bring all work, including syllabi, back with you, in case it is needed in the credit evaluation process.

Questions? Contact the Registrar's Office:

e-mail: registrar@admin.nmt.edu 

visit the Registrar's Office in Fidel Center 2nd Floor

call (575) 835-5507