NMT Class of 2021 by the Numbers
May 10, 2021
SOCORRO, N.M. – More than 220 members of the Class of 2021 and 2020 participated in the event. The Class of 2021 includes 446 graduates – 330 bachelor’s recipients, 105 master’s recipients and 11 Ph.D.’s.
Hundreds of family and friends filled the venue – in socially distanced pods – for an event that culminated with the appearance of students dressed like Storm Troopers shooting confetti over the graduates.
Data points about the Class of 2021:
- The average GPA of this year’s bachelor’s recipients is 3.28.
- Just over 70 percent of you have GPAs of 3.0 or greater.
- 70 students in this graduating class (or 32%) have received at least one F in a course at NMT, BUT you were unstoppable!
- Three of you are graduating with a perfect 4.0 GPA.
- The youngest bachelor’s recipients are 18 and 20 years old.
- Once we are done here today, New Mexico Tech will have awarded 6,321 bachelor’s degrees in the history of the Institute.
- The most well represented department this year is Mechanical Engineering, with 48 Bachelor’s degrees being awarded today.
- The most well represented department at the Master’s Degree level is the Science Teaching/Education Department, with 11 Master’s degrees being awarded today, just beating out long-time record holder Mechanical Engineering, with 10 degrees being awarded today.
- While the most well represented department at the Ph.D. level, with 4 degrees, is the Earth & Environmental Science Department.
- The Class of 2021 is a diverse group. Just over 88% percent of the undergraduates hail from New Mexico, including students from Farmington to Carlsbad, from Shiprock to Silver City, from Zuni Pueblo to Portales – and all points in between.
- From out-of-state, the Class of 2021 includes students from Arizona, California, Colorado, Maryland, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Texas.
- This year, our international students earning degrees hail from Bangladesh, China, Ghana, Indonesia, Iran, Kenya, Libya, Nigeria, South Africa, Spain, and Vietnam.
- Additionally: There are 10 alumni of Socorro High School. Congratulations to our home-town students.
– NMT –